Saturday, November 1, 2008

23 Things - #11

Like so many of the tasks which make up the 23 Things, Library Thing was a new experience. I can remember first hearing about Library Thing in our Organization of Information course last spring - it sounded like many in our class, including the instructor, were users of Library Thing to one degree or another.

I started this evening with the tutorial, after which I created a user account and edited some of the user profile info. For now, I kept my profile at a private setting, at least until I had some time to familiarize myself with how it all worked. The first several books were somewhat randomly pulled from my bookshelves (which admittedly are quite random as it is). All but one were identifiable by the ISBN, and so I added them. Then I got curious. For my next round of books, I purposefully pulled what I suspected to be among to most obscure titles on my shelves. Between the LOC and Amazon, all but two books were identifiable.

It was even more bizarre to see that with only two exceptions, there was at least one other person who shared the same titles on all of my added books. The tutorial was right when it spoke of the "eerie similarities." Who knew that there were actually 11 of us with Lord Charnwood's 1917 autobiography of Abraham Lincoln?

I have bookmarked this site, and will definitely be back soon to add more books. I spent easily about 1 1/2 hours more there this evening than originally planned; adding books was really quite addictive.

No comments: