Sunday, November 2, 2008

23 Things - #'s 13 & 14 (and 20)

del.icio.us - There is really no way that I will not get lost, sidetracked, and completely diverted from my original objective when visiting this site. I listed #20 in parentheses above in reference to experience using YouTube, because the same kind of time-eating digressions occur during those visits as well. I have visited YouTube several times; today was my first look at del.icio.us. Like YouTube, I personally will have to liken del.icio.us as a guilty pleasure with the power to draw me right in, in much the same way that "I Love the 80's" shows on VH1 can do.

I did four searches, with the number of links listed after each search term...
1. United States Presidents - 244 (got lost among the bookmarks here, but the good news is I did really well on the trivia page by the 34th time I played).

2. Carlisle Indian School - 18 (this was inspired by the miniseries "Into the West," which my wife and I checked out at the library, and have been watching - it's probably overdue).

3. Supreme Court Building - 16 (all sites devoted to the actual building of the Supreme Court - a homework assignment of my daughter's).

4. CUBS - 3111 - (had to check - lovable losers is big enough to be its own demographic)

technorati - What I enjoyed most about visiting this site is that it was a bit like looking in the "Library 2.0 mirror," so to speak - I know that had I visited this site (most likely by accident) prior to being enrolled in SLIS, none of it would have made much sense. Now, I am able to understand in much greater depth how blogs are created, maintained, searched, tagged, and utilized. That said, I know there is still an enormous amount of learning to do; looking at the technorati web site allowed for the opportunity to see all that still needs to be done as well.

The biggest tags in the tag cloud were those associated with Tuesday's election. It will be interesting to watch how those change as the election comes and goes, and other hot topics of the day gain the spotlight.

No comments: