Tuesday, November 11, 2008

23 Things - #'s 16 & 17

I had become relatively familiar with Wikipedia quite some time ago, primarily from conducting Google searches - as I'm sure all can attest, the Wikipedia entry for just about everything is typically first or near first in the list of retrievals. It was not until starting our classes for SLIS last fall, however, that I realized that a "wiki" was by definition any web site which encourages editing and updates by all users. Moreover, it had never really occurred to me that the emergence of Wikipedia as an information source would stir up such a furor regarding its bibliographical credibility. I thought it was interesting to read the comments posted underneath the blog posting called "Wiki, Wiki, Wiki!," on the PLCMC Information Technology Core Competencies. The posting and comments date back to April, 2006, so the comments are interesting to read given what seems to be somewhat universal opinions about Wikipedia today.

I have only been actively involved in a wiki once thus far; it was for a course I took last year. The students in the class were asked to create and update a glossary wiki on terms relevant to the issues surrounding free speech (the subject of the course). We were all given around 5-6 terms to define and post on the glossary wiki page.

After doing some searching on library wikis, I found this link: Libraries Using IM Reference. I thought this was pretty interesting.

It was neat to browse through the PBWiki favorites links, though I thought many of them looked somewhat cluttered. The tutorial links on the PLCMC site did not work, and I will re-visit the notion of listing my blog in the favorite blogs link on this site another time.

No comments: